Wonderland in 1st Grade

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What an amazing opening of the school year. I have so enjoyed getting to know the students in both Homerooms. This group of children are very excited about reading. The class has just finished sharing the book The Wizard of Oz. They loved it and spent a great deal of time discussing the many differences between the book and the movie. Did you know that in the book the special shoes are silver? The students are fully enmeshed in Reader's Workshop. The students read independently for 40 minutes daily. The children have also started partner reading two days a week and are truly enjoying discussing books with their peers. The children have started a Reader's Response Journal. This is a journal where they can jot their thoughts about what they are reading. They write their noticings. wonderings, and opinions. It is also a place where they write their text to text, text to self and text to world connections. The children are learning so much about who they are as readers and are enjoying the opportunity to teach each other.

JJ Ossi

2 comments:

Jackie Williams said...

I had no idea that Dorothy's shoes were silver in the book. Guess mom needs to read it too! Great job on the blog! Alex was so nervous at the beginning and he is now starting to enjoy school more. You guys are making it fun for him so thanks! Love hearing how he is dancing with you too!
Thanks
Jackie (Alex's mom)

Susan T. Phillips said...

Oh my gosh, I had no idea the shoes were actually silver! I've seen the movie an thousand and one times but I don't think I have ever read the book. I wonder what else is different?? I might need to read it and find out. Nice post Ms. Ossi!!! :)